We all want to protect the valuables inside our homes, but one of the highest ticket items on thief’s Christmas list could be your car. Luckily, advances in technology have made outdoor security systems more affordable and more effective and with a range of handy features that can have both preventative benefits and the advantage of being truly helpful to police.
Simply put, outdoor security cameras are installed either using wired or wireless technology around the home and property to monitor and, or, record activity in its area.
Connected to a central control center, whether through a DVR or over a wireless network, the homeowner can see and everything the cameras see. These cameras are typically programmed to record at specific times, take snapshots or video clips when they sense motion, or upon demand.
Let’s look at a few benefits of fitting your property with outdoor security cameras.
- For one, if someone arrives on your property, with a security camera you can see them without them seeing you. Many cameras are wireless and tie into your existing security system. An intruder can be spotted and reported before they even get to the door, window, driveway or garage. Many cars are stolen to order and have been cased out before the robbery. You might catch someone suspicious hanging around before it’s too late.
- Dark spots on your property can be attractive places for thieves to hide while they are ‘window shopping’. Outdoor security cameras may come equipped with night vision and can reveal if a stranger is lurking around. Night vision cameras are a great alternative to not installing outdoor, motion sensitive lighting and clearing overgrown bushes or trees.
- Visible outdoor security cameras are proven to be an effective deterrent, often influencing prowlers or would-be-burglars to avoid such properties. Of course, while you may want your cameras visible, you’ll want to place them such that they are not easily compromised.
- In the event of property vandalism or car theft, the cameras provide the evidence you need to give a description and information to the police. Be sure that the quality of your cameras is high enough to see faces clearly as this will help the police secure a conviction, like Cammy’s.
- Outdoor cameras can allow you to easily monitor your kids or pets in the yard while you’re not there with them. If you’re inside the house busy in the garage or with dinner preparation, you can be assured of your family’s safety with a simple glance at the live feed on your laptop or mobile device. The same goes for your other pride and joy, your car!
- Many major insurers will offer lower premiums if you protect your home against burglary and vandalism with a professionally-installed and monitored home security system. Discounts of 15 to 20 percent aren’t unheard of. While we haven’t yet heard of this being extended to car insurance, it is worth enquiring as to whether this could get you a discount on your next renewal.
Security camera technology has provided confidence and peace of mind for countless homeowners and families. Home security cameras today have great benefits, beyond their monitoring capabilities, including the ability to view alerts and recorded clips instantly on nearly any mobile device.
Whether it is at the office, on the road, camping, or from within your house, you can have instant access to your surveillance system and the ability respond immediately should trouble arise.